1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting...how long till I get eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bejammie, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Bejammie

Bejammie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Just bought two ee mix hens. Was told they have been laying but are not currently due to molt. How long before I can expect an egg so I know they lay??

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    are they missing alot of feathers??....thats what happens when they molt...and i could take 6 weeks for them to come out of it..do you know how old the chickens are?...they usually molt after a year....and its usually in late fall....

3. Bejammie

Aug 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    They are missing feathers and are 1 yr 3 mos old give or take. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Bejammie

Aug 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    The lavender one looks moltish...the other I am not sure

5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    when you relocate chickens they dont lay till they adjust and feel comfortable.....and if they are molting it could be up to 6 weeks..... or till the feathers come back....i hope you dont have they long to wait!

6. Bejammie

Aug 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Thank you! Im new to this whole chicken business lol but I love them!!

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Upping their protein will help them with the molt. Some chickens go thru a light molt and others look like they've been plucked. I have an orpington right now who has been molting for a month and still looks terrible

8. Bejammie

Aug 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Thanks :) the guy PROMISED me they lay daily blue and green eggs when they are laying. I know where he lives lol so if they dont lay blue eggs im paying him a visit lol.

The day before I bought them I bought to more blue eggers...who each laid a brown or white egg!! :( lol

9. Bejammie

Aug 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I got a blue egg yesterday from my lavender hen who is def. Molting. No eggs from the other one who doesnt show signs of molting tho :(

10. Shannon bo

Shannon bo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm at about seven weeks owning 13 hens and I'm lucky to get two eggs every three days. Was told when I got them he was getting nine/day. Feeding 17% protein note, I'm gonna increase to 20% I think

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by