molting,how much protein.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bucky52, Oct 22, 2013.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    My chickens are molting.i'am still feeding them layer.also I give them a cup of freeze dried meal worms twiced daily,black oil sunflower seeds,and scramble eggs three times aweek.i have a total of ten hens.ages range in 6 months to four years of age.how much is to much.and is that enough.some are in a heavy molt.and the younger ones I see a feather or two.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The 6 month olds are not likely to molt this year. IMO, the ones in molt shouldn't be getting layer feed. Too much calcium for a bird that doesn't have to make egg shells every day.
    I always recommend more protein during molt but it is possible to give too much protein. I'd probably cut back a little.
    You don't say how much BOSS they're getting but I'd probably halve the protein sources you're giving.
    Better yet, switch to a grower feed, cut way back on the protein and give oyster shell in a separate container for those still laying.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Ok thanks.they get a cup of BOSS mixed in their scratch once a day.i will pick up some grower for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by