molting? I think? Please help!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amydzek, Oct 9, 2011.

1. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    ok what is molting? it looks like a pillow fight outside and my white hens look pathetic.. they have stopped laying and I dont know whats wrong? I have added scratch and cottage cheese to their food... (added, not instead of food) and they have been allowed to forage often... HELP PLEASE

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That does sound like molt. How old are they? They will regrow their feathers in a few weeks to maybe a couple months. You can increase their protein intake, helps with the refeathering.

Imp- Good luck

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Have you looked at the Worst Chicken Molt Picture Contest above under announcements? Your chickens probably don't look much worse then most of those. Extra protein can help them with their newly developing feathers. Molting is just a normal process in which old feathers are shed and new ones grow in. Early fall is a typical time for molt.

4. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    ok so they are not dying??? I have checked them over time and time again for mites and I am not finding any... I am worried that I might need to spray sunscreen on them... it is still kinda hot here and very sunny, I dont want them to burn.... I know that birds molt but I didnt know that chickens did... I guess they are a little over a year old... the ones who are losing their feathers... the other 2 'babies' have just started to lay...

5. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Molt. [​IMG]

6. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Your chickens won't burn, most likely just a slow broil. You should be able to smell when they are done! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by