Molting in December?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninanonna, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ninanonna

ninanonna Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Portland
    I have a Jersey Giant and recently her glossy, gorgeous black feathers have turned dull and have been falling out by the handful. She doesn't have any bald patches; rather she has quills with bits of feathers that look like they might be growing in. This is my first year raising chickens. What I want to know is if it's possible that she's molting? If so, why would she do this at the start of the coldest months of the year?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, she's molting. My buttercup is 9 months old and has been molting for about a month. Now my BR has joined in the fun.

Who knows why they choose a really cold month to have all their feathers fall out. [​IMG]

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 2 hens that are molting right now. It's a truly pitiful sight!

Why are these 2 molting at this late date? Because they are good girls and laid eggs longer than any of the others, who molted early and now look beautiful, and still won't be laying eggs until the daylight hours increase. [​IMG]

Just kidding. Sort of. They all have their own mysterious molting schedules. Some molt early, some late. Some molt slowly, so you barely notice it, and others drop feathers in clumps and make it look like a pillow exploded in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by