Molting in January?

Nicki1002

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
Hi all. We’ve had our chickens for about 9 months. Two of our Barred Rocks are missing feathers at the neck. They’ve not molted before, but it looks like pictures I’ve seen of new feathers growing in? I’m not sure if they are still laying. We are getting an egg or two each day, but I’m not sure which of our ten chickens are laying and which are not. It is quite cold here overnight. Last night was about -10. They don’t have supplemental heat, and thus far, they’ve done well. I have been seeing a lot of their feathers in the coop.

Anyway, is this likely to be molting? Do I need to provide supplemental heat while they molt in such cold temps? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 629DF97C-2156-41C1-815D-A15486D33C24.jpeg
    629DF97C-2156-41C1-815D-A15486D33C24.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 0B609060-D3F2-4A2E-A63B-2CE00842858E.jpeg
    0B609060-D3F2-4A2E-A63B-2CE00842858E.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 10
Yep, those are pin feathers coming in. :) seems like a lot of people (including myself!) have young birds that are going through a partial molt right now. Extra protein will help them get those new feathers settled in. 👍

Yep, those are pin feathers coming in. :) seems like a lot of people (including myself!) have young birds that are going through a partial molt right now. Extra protein will help them get those new feathers settled in. 👍
Thanks so much! Think I need to give them the heat lamp?

The only thing a heat lamp is going to do is slow down that new growth, and increase the fire risk in your coop. Birds are extremely adaptable to dealing with cold temperatures, even when there are compromisations.
Perfect! I’m wary of the heat lamp and fire danger, too. So I’d rather not use it if they don’t need it. Thanks!

My girl (she’s a silkie) is out with her friends in their little unheated coop, no problem. It’s been -20 C here overnight the last few days, still no issue. :) your birds should be just fine, as everyone else has already said. Haha.

My three 9 month olds went/are going through a partial molt this winter too. When I saw the pin feathers on the first one, I didn't know what they were either. It looked like her head had shrunk.

Back
Top Bottom