Molting in January??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tnmommy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. tnmommy

tnmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Loretto, TN
    It began with my rooster, he has lost some feathers in a patch on his back. One hen is also losing feathers on her back. If it were just the hen, I would suspect the roo causing feather loss, but he has the same feather loss. Are they molting, or does this sound like pecking?

They have access to layer feed, scratch grain, and safe table scraps. Everyone appears healthy except tip frostbite on the combs of all but one of the hens. We are not accustomed to several nights in the single digits here in the south. I had a heat lamp in with them and ventilation out of the top of the coop. If necessary, I can bring them into the garage as the next round of very low temperatures arrives.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    This is molting season. Are there lots of pin feathers on the birds, especially around the neck and head? Usually they start molting from the head down. Pull or blow the feathers away and look for new feather growth. If it JUST one area with bare feathers, it is possible that it is aggression.

3. tnmommy

Apr 14, 2013
    Loretto, TN
    I'll check in the morning. It started in one spot on the rooster on his lower back. And the hen's looks very much like the rooster is pulling them out mounting her.

4. tnmommy

Apr 14, 2013
    Loretto, TN
    I spent quite a while with the flock this morning. The hen is getting "hen pecked" by her sisters and also appears to be the rooster's favorite. She's not bleeding. Ordered hen saddles this morning after I saw that.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't understand these birds . Mine have mostly gotten past their molt this past week or so, except one of mine has just started. Don't they know it's cold?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by