Molting in July / egg bound

Swirlwind

Chirping
Jul 15, 2019
I have a white leghorn, just barely over two years old. She laid an egg every single day over winter and never molted. Gradually her eggs got bigger and bigger, until they actually started to wrinkle. About two weeks ago, I think she got egg bound. She was sitting on the nest for about 4 hours, and looked quite sick. Eventually, an egg came out all broken, goopy, like she wasn't able to get it all out in one piece. She seemed fine the next day. But she has not laid an egg since, and now she's losing all of her feathers. Is she molting in July? Or is the losing of the feathers related to being egg bound? (No sign of mites, and nothing is wrong with my other 7 hens.)

oh my goodness, this is not normal. your either need to keep her in a dog crate and keep her from the nesting box and give her vetRX or call a chicken vet. I've heard broody, but never something like this.

Eventually, an egg came out all broken, goopy, like she wasn't able to get it all out in one piece.
Was the shell that came out hard or soft?

Or is the losing of the feathers related to being egg bound?
Stress can trigger a molt.
She's 24 months old and has never molted?
She may just be overdue to molt.

Is she eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK?

"Was the shell that came out hard or soft?"

Hard to say entirely, because I think the other hens got to it. There was definitely soft shell.

"Stress can trigger a molt.
She's 24 months old and has never molted?
She may just be overdue to molt."

She did the first year, but not this winter.

"Is she eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK?"

Yes! During those 4 hours she looked quite ill, but now she's fine. Jumps on my lap for corn, hangs out with the other hens, goes in the coop at night...

Back
Top Bottom