Molting in Red Stars

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nes, Nov 28, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Sorry for being a little obscure, but I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about.

We just got a flock of red & black stars, the red stars look terrible they're molting so badly [​IMG].

I seem to remember reading somewhere that red stars, or one of their foundation breeds, molt a little different from other chickens? (might have been RIRs?)

Has anyone read this, heard of this?

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Here's a great thread on molting..not only do Red Stars molt, they do, but all seem to molt in a different way..some not so bad..some pretty bad. See if you can find a red star on here, but I think you will get a chuckle out of some of these pictures, and may even say, ok, I thought my birds were bad!! [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=580968&p=1

3. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    One of mine looks like one of those naked-neck birds [​IMG] they're pretty darn ugly!!

Do their molts take longer, or happen less frequently?
    (trying desperately to remember what it was :S)

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:I want to knock on wood when I say this. But I'm not saying it out loud right? [​IMG] I haven't had a really bad molt in my girls yet, and I've had chickens for three years. I am noticing that my blue Ameraucana, is losing feathers in the next box. I just hope she isn't going broody, because I already have a mama hen with babies..a black bantam. Pretty cute. She did the same thing, lost a few tummy feathers before going completely broody.
    If you have some pretty naked birds, they must be feeling a bit chilly. Do they go into a coop at night?
    Good luck, they will grow their feathers back. Then, they will be more beautiful, with grown up feathers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by