Molting in spring?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hoozieg, Mar 19, 2013.

1. hoozieg

hoozieg New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    One of my hens looks like she's molting, but I thought molts took place in the fall! Her neck and chest areas are bare with deep red skin showing. There are pin feathers at the edges of the bare spots - she looks like a porcupine. Her vent looks swollen with a oozing, white discharge present. She is the only one doing this! Should I be worried or is she just molting at a different time from the rest. She is a different breed from the others - a Saggitae or something. We lost her sister in a forest fire that went through here in August so I can't compare. Should I do something? What?

2. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

IMHO Molting can start at any time, not just seasonal. Chicks are born at different times of the year and their natural cycle kicks in and in the set time since they were hatched they will molt. I have seen this a lot and on some occasions when the flock is older they become in sync sorta speak and then you will see molting together.. It's weird how it works but it happens to me often...
    Not to worry.... Steve

3. hoozieg

hoozieg New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks Steve! I appreciate the answer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by