??Molting in the Winter???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DouglasPeeps, Dec 12, 2008.

1. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Do chickens generally molt in the winter? 2 of my chickens have started molting, or I think they are molting. Poor things are losing feathers like crazy. Pretty sure it is molting and not pickin' because when I have held them, their feathers come out just from petting them.

My chickens will be a year old in February. So, this would be their first molt. Any suggestions would be great!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine are going thru it right now. I've upped their protein intake to help them get new feathers before it gets too much colder.
    The way I understand it, at 7 to 8 months old it's considered a mini-moult. The full blown moult will come around 18 months old.

3. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    How have your upped their protein? I would love to know what you are giving them.

Thanks for your help!!!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Black oil sunflower seeds and chopped hard boiled eggs.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, the feathers laying around would indicate the molt is going on. It is prolly a good idea to provide a good secure draft free enviornment with proper ventilation to avoid the chance of the flock becoming chilled.

I hang a heat lamp over the roost, high enough so the flock can't come in contact with, but low enough to make a difference.

bigzio

6. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Thank you! I can do that.

7. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Thank you for your reply! I am glad to know that I was thinking along these lines. I have the heat lamp in place, but just haven't turned it on since last winter. I will watch them closely as we anticipate another storm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by