Molting in this cold *burr*

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Hens I just reciently got (a few weekends ago) were/are molting. The one hens breast is nothing but blood feathers. Is it normal for them to molt this time of year? Is there anything I can suppliment them with to help the feathers grow in efficiently/faster???

My poor girls are molting now, too & down to just pin feathers in places. I have been feeding them black oil sunflower seeds for extra protein. Some people feed catfood, but I just don't like to... I thought about trying some game bird feed which is also higher protein.

Quote:
I already feed a gamebird/poultry (dumor- its appropriate for both game and chickens). I actually like the cat food idea. I already suppliment my quails with cat food because of their higher protien requirement i should have thought of that for the chickens!
smile.png
Some people are worried about the cat food but theres really nothing to worry about, even the cheapest brand is pretty good (better for birds than cats even as cats cant deal with grains).
smile.png

Thank you for the info!!!!
big_smile.png
I feel so bad for mine too
sad.png

I think mine are molting for the first time right now. One has bare spots, some of the others have fluffy feathers again and feathers are everywhere!

same here. they started as soon as it got very cold. so far they have been holding up pretty well. but it looks like it would be awful!

Quote:
There has been more than one evening where I saw all the feathers in the run and my heart just sank because I thought for certain one of my chickens had been shredded by a predator.

But no - they are just molting like crazy!
roll.png

Quote:
There has been more than one evening where I saw all the feathers in the run and my heart just sank because I thought for certain one of my chickens had been shredded by a predator.

But no - they are just molting like crazy!
roll.png

haha i thought that today when i saw feathers! I had all my chickens there but i saw several feathers then I saw the hen with the blood feathers...OOHHH duh! LOL!

My hens are molting, too... silly birds. I need to give them down jackets!!
I know not everyone has a bunch of salmon or halibut in the freezer, but I boil up fish for my girls to help them get through their molt faster. It's almost pure protein and wonderful fish oils. They love it warm, too, especially when it's -30F outside!
tongue.png
Boil up some eggs and crumble them for them, shell and all... that will help, too.
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

My hens are molting, too... silly birds. I need to give them down jackets!!
I know not everyone has a bunch of salmon or halibut in the freezer, but I boil up fish for my girls to help them get through their molt faster. It's almost pure protein and wonderful fish oils. They love it warm, too, especially when it's -30F outside!
tongue.png
Boil up some eggs and crumble them for them, shell and all... that will help, too.
smile.png

If our freezer didnt die this summer i'd still of had trout and tilapia i could have given them!
sad.png
Store bought eggs boiled and kitty food it shall be hehe htanks!​

Back
Top Bottom