Molting in winter or...?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lazur, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Lazur

Lazur Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Hello!
    I need your help! I have 5 Buckeye hens, no roosters. This is our first winter. I got my first eggs about a month ago. Only 3 are laying. I live in NH so I was surprised to learn that they would molt in the winter. But I'm not convinced this is molting. Looks like 4 are loosing feathers on their back just before tail. No pin feathers just bald skin and no blood or sign of pecking. I'm still getting 2-3 eggs most days. Very concerned about cold weather and keeping them healthy. They are sick of being cooped up with all the snow we have and I have noticed them being very aggressive with me when I come to feed them. They go NUTS for mealworms and millet and I was thinking of feeding them some burger.

Thanks for your help and support.
    Lazur

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you post some photos? I wouldn't be surprised if they were molting, at least partially, but it is also possible that they have mites/lice or are picking each other. I would probably get some Sevin dust and dust each bird, just to make sure there are no mites or lice causing feather loss. Supplementing with extra protein (by giving wet cat food, mealworms, scrambled eggs, etc.) will help them grow in feathers faster and may help minimize picking problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by