1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting in Winter!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sixchics914, Jan 27, 2015.

1. sixchics914

sixchics914 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    Help! Two of my chickens are molting now, any ideas as to what I can do for them? They appear to be eating, they just look a little
    rough, missing feathers etc...thank you....

2. chickincrazy

chickincrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    Don't worry. Most chickens molt during cold weather. Mine are as I speak. You could give them omega 3s. Some poultry suppliers carry it. You put it in their food and when they eat it it should help them grow their new feathers. It gives them a nice sheen. Also make sure they have a nice place to take shelter in with no drafts.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Molting is normal at this time of year, and many chickens get through it perfectly fine without help. However, supplementing them with high protein treats/food such as gamebird feed, scrambled eggs, mealworms, or sunflower seeds will help your birds grow their feathers in faster.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, adding some extra protein to their diet is a good idea, and making sure they have draft free shelter.

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

Most of my birds molt during the winter and do just fine. Make sure that they can get out of the wind and that they have enough to eat. In a couple of months, they should be fully feathered in again.

8. Cubbyt

Cubbyt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    South Kentucky
    I'm new to chickens to and have spent hours on here reading. It seems crazy for them to molt at this time of year and I was concerned but have learned today its ok. Thanks for everyone's input questions you wouldn't think to ask have been covered makes it easier when you know it's ok.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  10. sixchics914

sixchics914 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    Thank You again everyone for help putting my mind at rest. Always a great place to get answers about my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by