Molting just on their faces?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by liz_s, Nov 17, 2010.

1. liz_s

liz_s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Hi!

Two of my Ameraucanas are only molting their muff feathers. I'm pretty sure it's molting (as opposed to picking) because there are pinfeathers coming out underneath, but this seems weird to me... Does anybody with bearded ladies have the same story?

Thanks!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I haven't noticed it with my EE's, but one of the production reds molted on her head first--she was bald with just little blue pin feathers sticking out. Her head was almost fully featherd before the rest of her body started to molt so maybe that's what is going on with your girls.

I know picking can be a problem with bearded/muffed breads, not sure why but the other chooks sure like those fluffy feathers, especially when they're on the roost. As you menitoned, it seems odd that they'd be getting pin feathers in so soon if it's a picking issue, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

3. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My year old black cochin bantam only molted on her head too...now her head feathers are coming in white!
    I love it!

4. liz_s

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Oh perchville, that sounds pretty! I was watching the girls this morning, and the alpha was, well, not really picking at the other's feathers, but they do clean each other off. Since I give them cooked oatmeal, they might get a little sticky, and she may be taking care of it. If she's cleaning them, or plucking at them, it would explain why her face is so dirty and she isn't losing muff feathers. She probably doesn't let them do it. But it's good to hear that you guys have had chickens that molt on their heads, it makes me feel better! Those silly girls... [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  6. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    My D'Uccle rooster lost his beard a while ago, and it hasn't grown back. I can see pin feathers here and there, but it's been like this for a while. I'm stumped.

7. liz_s

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Thanks Ridgerunner- I'll check those links out. I hope my girls don't lose their muffs for good, but they're not entirely gone yet, so perhaps I'm in the clear. Farmington, is your rooster getting "picked" on?

8. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:Actually, he's the head honcho around here. He's my oldest rooster, about 2 months older than my other two which are an EE, and a Buckeye. Our D'Uccle is like a little Napoleon, and pushes the 2 big boys around, and they give way. He tries to give me a daily flogging too, but he gets met with the sole of my boot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by