1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting? NOW? In Frozen Connecticut?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Astrid, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    I've got four hens, 2 Buff Orps and 2 Barred Rocks, all 18 months old. All seem happy and healthy, though laying has dropped off considerably this winter.

Suddenly, the coop is littered with Rock feathers! What is going on? Could the rocks be molting? You've got to be kidding me! It's frigid! Is this abnormal? Will the poor dears freeze? They've got a snug coop, but still I worry.....they're rather like pets!

Thanks,
    Astrid

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

At 18 months old you have a really high chance of ALL of them molting any minute now. Is the coop heated? If so they should be ok. What an awful time of year for them to do that. On the up side, winter is low production so at least you won't notice the # of eggs dropping off so drastically.

3. susanhai

susanhai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    middle tn
    my girls always choose the coldest week of the year... go figure!

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I had a banty mix go through a rough molt just a few weeks ago. It was the coldest period so far this winter.

She was SO vulnerable, wouldn't come out of the coop, poor girl. I gave her extra protein, ie - meats and extra egg stuff and cheese, she would go mad for it.

It took her awhile, now she's lovely. And she has her confidence back, and is back to her regular every other day egg! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by