Molting now? In November?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fmernyer, Nov 26, 2013.

1. fmernyer

fmernyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    So my 1 year old plus amber link is molting. I'm pretty sure the red sex links are molting, too - but not as drastically. The amber link is losing feathers like crazy - it looks like they were having a pillow fight in the coop - and she's now got all these pin feathers. I'm inclined to stick with 'molting' because of the presence of the pin feathers...but I have to ask - IS she molting? She doesn't have any other appearance of illness - but it seems like a pretty bad time to molt. Its November in New England. It's pretty darn cold. Is there anything I can be doing for her?

Thanks, as always!

~Dawn

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    it is possible, and I only say that because my 14 month olds are going through a hard molt too. normally they wait until 16-18 months of age to start their annual molt but this year seems to be much colder than previous years which I think as a lot to do with it.

3. fmernyer

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    Whew! Thank you!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I wonder if the late molt has anything to do with the rather warm fall weather we had?

5. fmernyer

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    Good question. It was warm pretty late in the year and turned rather cold rather suddenly. That's why I'm worried for her - poor thing actually LOOKS cold - lol. I set up boxes in the run for her to get shelter from the wind...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by