Molting now?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by flockman, Dec 27, 2012.

1. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    My goose seems to be molting.

After Boris and Natasha had their original feathers Natasha molted very quickly and had all new feathers. She was very dark and pretty. Boris took much longer to get his new feathers. Once he was done he has been really beautiful. It really showed how much Natasha faded. Some of her feathers are looking pretty rough. Within the few weeks I have noticed that she has new feathers on her head and wing coverts. She was hatched in April if that means anything.

Is this a problem? Does it mean that there is something wrong? We have had unseasonably warm weather until just over a week ago. Could it be because of weather? She is eating well, active bathes and drinking plenty of water.

Thanks.
    Ted

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I know this crazy weather pattern we have has made some of my hens not molt even still....I also have a goose who is molting now....I attribute it to age/weather.

3. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Is your goose young also? Hatched in 2012?

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    The one that is molting now was not...she was hatched in 2011...but the two from 2012 I have are not molting yet at all....

5. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks. I don't think that there is anything wrong with her. She is in good health otherwise.

Ted

6. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Mine hatched in April 2012 and have only molted once, I think. - it was right after they grew in their adult feathers. They still shed feathers occasionally, especially after they bathe, but it isnt as noticeable as that first time. From what you wrote, I dont think anything is wrong with Natasha.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by