Molting or bullying?

Donovan416

Hatching
Oct 20, 2019
I have a Russian Orloff in a mixed flock, and she has been molting for several weeks but she is now getting red and sore on her head (see picture). Is this just part of the molt or an injury? Something else?

I have another hen (copper Moran) who is currently separated from the flock as she was getting bullied and pecked at. Hopefully this one is not the next in line!

Attachments

• Resized_20191020_170935.jpeg
    Resized_20191020_170935.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 23
How old is this bird?

How big is the coop and the run in feet by feet?
How many birds, what ages and what breeds?

Often bullying/pecking is caused by being to cramped.

What I see in the picture is a patch on the neck missing feathers and her comb on her head. The comb is normal.

She may be rubbing her neck on the feeder as she eats which will cause feather loss.

Oh and :welcome

Last edited:
Hi and :welcome,Sorry for your girls.Molting is hard on them.I feed some extra protein when mine are molting,even scrambled eggs work. Do you have a roo? Some better pics would help.The cage blocks to much to see her well.​

Hey, Welcome to BYC :welcome!!!! She could be molting very hard, or she may have an external parasite. It is hard to tell by the picture, but from my personal expierence when chickens are infected with mites they lose feathers by their head and their skin tends to be irritated and red. Again, a better picture would help us to draw a conclusion but my chochins definitely looked similar to that during their mite epidemic. This is no need for worry, and there are many great articles on BYC for how to do an external parasite exam and how to rid your flock of parasites. Best of luck (Hopefully its just molting)!

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm attaching a closer version of the picture, and maybe this helps.

There are 5 hens in a coop which has a run that is 4' by 8'. The other breeds are buff orpingtons, Rhode island red, and copper Moran. We are planning on building a bigger area for them though, as I do think it is too cramped.

I will look into mite treatment and see if the feeder is too high as well.... She's the only one with this issue. If it's mites would all of them have it?

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• Resized_20191020_170935~2.jpeg
    Resized_20191020_170935~2.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 14
Building a bigger space is a good idea.

I don't think she is molting. I don't see where you lost ages but I am guessing she is under a year old.

It is a good idea to check a few times a month for mites or lice. To check look closely at the skin under the tail near the vent, under the wings and on the neck. The best time to check is just after dark using a flashlight. It helps to have a helper. A head lamp is also helpful.
They will be small (some almost to small to see) and fast. Often if there are mites or lice you will see egg clusters on the feather shafts next to the body.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

This is a good thing to read.
The pictures show heavy infestations so IF you ever have to deal with the bugs you likely won't see such large egg clusters.

IF you have a need to treat for them get a proven pesticide. Permethrin based is proven to work and work well.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz

This is what I use. There are ones in a ready to spray bottle. The one I linked has directions for diluting.

If you ever do find bugs posting a new thread will definitely get some responses in here to help you have through it.

Back
Top Bottom