1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting or disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hawkie95, Jan 14, 2014.

1. hawkie95

hawkie95 New Egg

May 11, 2013
    My chickens reside in a pole barn at night & during inclement weather. They have run of property otherwise. Currently have 3 RIReds, 2 Silkies, 2 Americanas & 1 Barbed Rock. One of the reds started losing feathers like crazy. She appears normal otherwise. I don't c anything but this is first experience w/this. She looks real shabby. She is @ 1 1/2 yr old. She has patches of skin where u see holes where feathers were. So far none of the others are losing feathers. Read @ molting. Her loss was in an order except she did not lose head feathers. Live in Chicago area so have that weather. Looking for advice or suggestions. If it is molting is anything done to protect exposed skin? Thank you.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are the bare patches filling in with 'quill like' blood feathers?

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is probably just molting; despite the cold, it is common in chickens at this time of year. Molting can range in severity from losing a few feathers at a time, to dropping feathers in handfuls. If she seems cold, you could try covering her with something (maybe a hen sweater or saddle?), but otherwise, she'll be fine with no help. Additional protein in the diet, from foods like wet cat food, mealworms, and scrambled eggs, can also help birds grow in their feathers faster, so you could try that.

4. hawkie95

hawkie95 New Egg

May 11, 2013
    Not that I see. Have just patch on back couple days ago.& chest this am.

5. hawkie95

hawkie95 New Egg

May 11, 2013
    My barn is heated but keep it llow because of horses & water. It usually is @ 40 (give or take 2 degrees in either direction). Have started giving mealworms. Will try ur other suggestions. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by