Molting? OR? Getting beat up!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Feb 6, 2011.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    This little banty frizzle I believe is a cockrel. He used to like to beat up all the other smaller chickens in his coop. But now there are bigger ones in there with him, and he is bald on the back? I don't know if you can see the photos. He is the black frizzle. He is the only one that looks like that. I tried bringing him inside with some of the smaller chicks I have, but he started bullying them. So...I'm just wondering if its possible that he is the only one molting or what? I thought it was a new color feathers coming in at first cause it looked like it?

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/72643_teeneybopperchickens_027.jpg

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Poor guy. How old is he? My first guess is that he's being picked on, probably.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like he's being picked on, I have a blk frizzle bantam hen with a nasty attitude. She can pretty much hold her on. I'd say he's met his match, and it will continue unless you remove the culprit whos doing it and stir up the pecking order some. Then put the one pecking back in with the group and hopefully it will be over.. you'll need to put something on his skin like blue kote to hide the flesh from showing or they might be eating it next..

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:X2.

5. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

This little banty frizzle I believe is a cockrel. He used to like to beat up all the other smaller chickens in his coop. But now there are bigger ones in there with him, and he is bald on the back? I don't know if you can see the photos. He is the black frizzle. He is the only one that looks like that. I tried bringing him inside with some of the smaller chicks I have, but he started bullying them. So...I'm just wondering if its possible that he is the only one molting or what? I thought it was a new color feathers coming in at first cause it looked like it?

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/72643_teeneybopperchickens_027.jpg

I don't think it's being picked on because we used to have one like him, he was gray and partially nude.​

6. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    Since he's a frizzle it could just be the condition of his feathers. My old frizzle roosters tended to look pretty rough at times, and wonderful at others.
    I would guess though, if that wasn't it, that he was being picked on. Most birds don't molt that young.

7. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I think it might be the older sussex pecking him. I'll get him fixed up and moved the bully to another pen, and see if the bully has a change of attitude. [​IMG] Thanks guys/gals

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by