molting or injury from rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by terryscannell, Mar 12, 2012.

1. terryscannell

terryscannell New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    I have a flock of seven hens and a rooster. This is there first year and they are not yet one year old. One hen has a patch of feathers missing right between her "shoulderblades". Is this due to mating or could it be a molt? I didn't think they molted there first year. Another is missing feather but doesn't have a bare spot like this one. Can I put something like cortisone cream on the patch (ther is not an open wound) or just leave it alone? Any help appreciated

2. RockinRooster

RockinRooster New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    I'm new to raising chickens as well, and it seems as though I'm in the exact same boat as you. Chickens are same age and all..... I did some research last night on the topic and the general consensus seemed to lead to it being the rooster getting a little to ruff. Everyone said to sit down and watch the flock for a while to see if there were any signs of the other hens picking on her, and this wasn't the case. I did notice that the hen missing the feathers seemed to follow closely to the rooster though. Long story short, last night while observing them in the roost I could see him tugging on her feathers...... Following the suggestion of other members, I'm in the process of getting a chicken saddle for her until her feathers can grow back. Don't know if this was of any help, but typing in your question in the forum search will probably lead you to the same suggestion.... Good Luck

3. terryscannell

terryscannell New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. What's a "chicken saddle" (what an image)???

4. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    Check the auction listings.Several members make chicken saddles. It protects the girls shoulders when the rooster gets too rough. I tried them but the girls kept getting them off and burying them in the straw. Now the boys are in the bachelor pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by