Molting or not??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by steny03, Jan 9, 2014.

1. steny03

steny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Nevada
    I have spent last night googling and scouring this website, but I cannot find any photos that are similar to my Biscuit.

I *think* she's molting...but I'm not sure. It started with some of her back feathers looking downy...and now she has a small bare spot on her back above her tail. Now, the downy look is spreading all over her...But the bare spot isn't red and doesn't have sores like I would expect if feathers were forcibly plucked. .I will try to get a better photo later today, as they were just let loose and very very busy trying to find the choicest free range spot for the day....

She's also just shy of a year old.

We don't have a rooster. She's the only Wyandotte in the bunch, and I think she's the lowest one on the totem pole....But there's never been any feather picking before. I've also watched them quite a bit, and haven't seen any of the other girls pick or pull her feathers.

They free range whenever the weather is good, which lately, has been everyday. They get layer feed, with fermented grains/sunflower seeds/corn/lentils as a treat. Occasionally I'll toss a cut up squash for them in the yard.

Anyone have any ideas? Or am I just over worrying about it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I also think that she is molting. :)
    I read one of the chicken started molting when she was 1 1/2 year old.
    I had the same kind of chicken like yours before. When she moted, that was like that picture above.

I think that If her poops and comb are normal, then she is okay.

[​IMG]

I couldn't find the one when she was 1 year old.. she was very kind to everyone.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. steny03

steny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Nevada
    Thank you for those links. I found those last night, but wanted to get ideas/opinions from people who have way more experience than I do....

I understand that hens won't do a hard molt until they are older...but there are no indications of mites, bugs, or other nasty little things.

I've been watching them all morning, with no signs of feather picking. She's been happily foraging right alongside everybody else. I even fed them a treat to see if the picking would occur during the stress/competition of going after treats. Still nothing.

I'm stumped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by