Molting, or Pecking by Another Hen, Or???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nancypo, Nov 27, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I have 3 hens, and one has a fairly bare spot around the base of her neck, on her back, with the base of the feathers showing. This appeared after the weather got really cold (after a hot fall) and the girls were cooped up a lot. The skin looks ok, but I'm wondering if she starting to molt or if this sounds like another hen is picking on her, literally??? The area is about 3-4" wide and about 2" high. Any ideas??? Or could she be pulling her own feathers out?

I did start leaving the door open more for them to roam and get out more, reduce stress. I put a small ace bandage around her neck to protect it, but it came off a few days later and is somewhere in the coop...

2. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Any ideas???

3. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    sounds kinda like a rooster could have done it. They have something called "hen saddles" that protect her from roosters. Or i could be molting because when a hen molts, they do it patches at a time.

4. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thanks. I did see the "hen aprons/saddles", thinking I may make one or two.... She'll be cold if she moults in 20-30 degree weather [​IMG]

5. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Yea.. some chickens are late molters and might get chilled if the weather is cold. you might ever need to get her a chicken sweater! [​IMG]

6. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    We had an unusually hot fall, so I'll keep an eye on her. I just was hoping no one was pecking on her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by