molting or rooster damage?

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
Several hens have been pecked or gotten their feathers broke by the roo. This one is different. She's not losing saddle feathers like the others. She's only losing wing feathers. Is it possible that she's molting already or is this also from the roo? I've never had a chicken molt so I don't know how to identify it.

Attachments

• 20210801_160020.jpg
    20210801_160020.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Several hens have been pecked or gotten their feathers broke by the roo. This one is different. She's not losing saddle feathers like the others. She's only losing wing feathers. Is it possible that she's molting already or is this also from the roo? I've never had a chicken molt so I don't know how to identify it.
Hmm...maybe the rooster? She could also be "force" molting from stress

More info please!

how old? How big is flock? Breeds of birds/rooster?
This one is a red sex link that's about 15 months. I have a buff orpington, black sex link, and production red that are the same age. A mutt 1 1/2 months younger. 1 turken, 2 EE turkens, and another buff orpington that are a year old. The roo is also a mutt that's a year old. I think he's a barred rock EE. There's 10 birds in the pen. The run is about 250 sq ft.

They have plenty of space! The rooster should be past the teen hormone stage. I wonder if she got her wing caught on something anc the feathers broke.

That isn’t molting. Molting…they can look a bit naked when it’s s heavy molt, the feathers fall out of the skin and within a few days they get new pin feathers coming through the skin. Usually, you see feathers in the run bc they have lost thrr we m in the molt. Some molts are light and you might not realize they are molting.

They have plenty of space! The rooster should be past the teen hormone stage. I wonder if she got her wing caught on something anc the feathers broke.

That isn’t molting. Molting…they can look a bit naked when it’s s heavy molt, the feathers fall out of the skin and within a few days they get new pin feathers coming through the skin. Usually, you see feathers in the run bc they have lost thrr we m in the molt. Some molts are light and you might not realize they are molting.
She spends a lot of time under the coop. When they take a dust bath they always do it by the fence. She could have caught it while dust bathing.

Probably from roo, I have hens with this small patch around their wings, it doesn’t grow.

Back
Top Bottom