Molting or Something Else? {pictures}

allie8302

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
So I noticed a small bare spot on her chest the other day, then it seemed like all of a sudden, poor thing is about bare!

There are white feathers all over the place, I have heard about mites? Maybe just a bad molt? I feel bad for her, it has been so cold :( She hasn't laid and egg in over a week (she is the only one that gives white eggs, all the rest are a light brown).

A little background- In March 2011 we got six (two white, two light brown and two dark brown, I can't remember the breed names). Then earlier this summer a raccoon got one of each, it was a nasty sad mess. Well we got the raccoon and better secured the coop. Then we were given the three black & white ones that were hatched this past spring.

Any help is appreciated :)

Oh ok, when the other two molted it was no where near this bad. Thanks!
The severity of a molt depends on the bird. Some of my birds lose only a few feathers in their tail, while others have virtually no wing feathers, neck feathers, or breast feathers.

The severity of a molt depends on the bird. Some of my birds lose only a few feathers in their tail, while others have virtually no wing feathers, neck feathers, or breast feathers.

Very true, this year I had two Marans that were just about naked. We had to pick them up and put them on their roost at night, as they didn't have enough feathers to fly up there. The poor gals looked just awful. They are gorgeous now.

I've been sick for several days, so my husband has been gathering eggs, and doing the food & water. When i went out today, my white hen was back to normal! Still haven't gotten an egg from her, but she looks so much warmer now! Thanks everyone!

Whoops. Just noticed this was a 3 week old thread. Glad she's doing better now!

Awwww. Poor little girl! Lol. Just a heads up too: she may stumble around like she's drunk. If she does, no worries: it's a symptom of having a really hard molt. One of my girls did that her first molt and it scared the crap out of me. She recovered just fine once her feathers started growing back in. Be extra careful not to handle her- all those sensitive feathers growing in will HURT if she's touched. Give her extra protein if you can, to help support her feather regrowth. Rolled oats, mealworms, scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc all work well, as does switching her to a higher protein gamebird feed.

Last edited:
She finally laid an egg! But it froze, she didn't lay it in the box, hopefully she will get it straightened out :(

I have several hens who refuse to lay in the box and only like a nest on the ground that she herself had constructed and yes there are days that three of them are all sitting in the same nest at the same time and other days they all wait their turn
wink.png

gander007
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom