1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting or something else

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbourbeau32, May 5, 2016.

1. cbourbeau32

cbourbeau32 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2014
    I don't have pictures to add at this moment as I'm not posting this from my home computer. One of my hens started loosing feathers on her back (not where the rooster grabs her to mate but lower down her body) and I assumed it was molting as she's about two years old but the feathers haven't started coming back yet. I'd say about 40% of her back is missing feathers. Anohter one is starting to loose them in the same location. Any ideas? I'll try to post pictures later to see if that helps.

Thanks, Charlie

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Usually that comes from the rooster or if they're low on the pecking order and get pecked at a lot. I like to spray on BlueKote to help it heal and to cover/hide the bare skin so that the other hens/rooster don't Peck as much.

3. cbourbeau32

cbourbeau32 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2014
    Thank you, it must be the roosters because she's the queen of the pecking order. I'll try the BlueKote. Where do I buy it?

Charlie

4. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I got mine at TSC (tractor supply), but you can order it online too.

5. swedeNH

swedeNH Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    +1 for the roo.

I'd say a really hard molt if it were only one hen.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by