Molting or something more serious?

ChiffonCake

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2020
Recently, I’ve noticed that my hen has been losing feathers on both sides of her wings (in the picture shown). From a quick Google search about molting, the sources that I’ve read said that chickens usually only molt near the end of summer - autumn. Is there something potentially wrong with my hen?

D104605B-56BA-4E0F-AFDD-6AA6ABB1FB75.jpeg

9C6D9F4A-E63E-4BE6-AD3D-A5D2CCE6B389.jpeg

While I can't see your picture clearly, and I've read the same things you have about late summer/Autumn for start of molt, my 14 month old birds, a CornishX (don't ask!) and some "Rainbows" from Hoover Hatchery have started to molt. The poor Cornish is having a hard molt, has lost feathers in identical patches behind/under both wings, plus breast and belly. The Rainbows are going thru a soft molt. Individual feathers stuck up here and there ala "bad hair day / bed head", and bits of spent feathers scattered everywhere. My Comets may be doing it too, but its not (yet?) as noticeable. Certainly, my flock egg production has dropped.

On that subject, has your hen's laying dropped off significantly?

/edit just fed my birds early, took a few moments to really inspect the flock. One of the Comets is molting, one of the Dark Brahma too.

Last edited:
While I can't see your picture clearly, and I've read the same things you have about late summer/Autumn for start of molt, my 14 month old birds, a CornishX (don't ask!) and some "Rainbows" from Hoover Hatchery have started to molt. The poor Cornish is having a hard molt, has lost feathers in identical patches behind/under both wings, plus breast and belly. The Rainbows are going thru a soft molt. Individual feathers stuck up here and there ala "bad hair day / bed head", and bits of spent feathers scattered everywhere. My Comets may be doing it too, but its not (yet?) as noticeable. Certainly, my flock egg production has dropped.

On that subject, has your hen's laying dropped off significantly?

/edit just fed my birds early, took a few moments to really inspect the flock. One of the Comets is molting, one of the Dark Brahma too.
It’s a bit reassuring that I’m not the only one (more like my hen isn’t the only one) experiencing this.

To answer your question about laying, my hen has been laying like usual, even with the patches. Is this good or bad?

Recently, I’ve noticed that my hen has been losing feathers on both sides of her wings (in the picture shown). From a quick Google search about molting, the sources that I’ve read said that chickens usually only molt near the end of summer - autumn. Is there something potentially wrong with my hen?

View attachment 2720254
View attachment 2720256
My chickens did the same since winter and they havent lost any feathers since they just have random patches right there. They still have the patches but they are perfectly fine I wouldnt think much of it

My chickens did the same since winter and they havent lost any feathers since they just have random patches right there. They still have the patches but they are perfectly fine I wouldnt think much of it
That’s really good to hear. Hopefully it’s the same for my hen

Back
Top Bottom