Molting Or Something Serious? *PICS INCLUDED*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenHeadquarters, Dec 24, 2010.

1. ChickenHeadquarters

ChickenHeadquarters New Egg

Dec 24, 2010
    I have a concern with two of my chickens. I'm noticing that my Rhode Island has lost a significant amount of feathers on the back of her neck. I'm starting to see the same thing with my Plymouth Rock. I'm not sure if this is molting or something a bit more serious. I know there's a cat that tries to sneak into our backyard, which we've had to scare away numerous of times. Maybe the cat tried to get to them? Or could is be something worse? parasites? diet? the other chickens picking out the other two? I'm just not sure. This is our first year owning chickens. We got ours back in February. We have 4 total. 2 Plymouths, 1 Rhode Island, and 1 Orpington Buff. They have free range of the backyard and are our babies. I'm pretty worried...if anyone can give me advice...I'd appreciate ANYTHING!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like molt. Evidently no roo. I'd check them out real good for lice and mites though, is there any open wounds? Give them added protein like yogurt, scrambled eggs, some cheese even to help them get their feathers back. Try to keep an eye on them just in case it could be feather picking then you can get a handle on it quicker, but I am pretty sure it's molt. You say you got them back in Feb. how old are they now?

3. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    looks like molting. some of mine also start molting at the neck.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Looks like molting to me. Never hurts to treat them for lice/mites, though. They must be particularly annoying when molting, which already makes them uncomfortable. It's about time for their 9 month molt, which is not usually as heavy a molt as the 18 month one.

5. ChickenHeadquarters

ChickenHeadquarters New Egg

Dec 24, 2010
    Thank you guys soooo much! I'm gonna say they're about 10 to 10 1/2 months old. I'll check them in the morning for mites or anything creepy on them. The Rhode Island has never been big on being held, however, she would let you hold if you needed to. You could tell when I held her to take that pictures that she was REALLY annoyed by me picking her up. We don't have any Roo's, just the girls. I'll had more protein to there feed and keep an eye on them. If anything changes...I'll let you guys know if anything changes!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks, and also you can give them boss for added protein. Some of mine don't take well to being held either but I go ahead and do it anyway. [​IMG]

7. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    my birds eat cat food for protein during molting

8. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Looks liek molting, it will soon bring up new feathers =P

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Pretty sure that's a molt. Now do your research about what to feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by