Molting or somwthibg else?

ManWithChicks

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
One of my hens has lost most of her back/saddle feathers. She used to have a poofy rump and now its just ragged.

Is she OK?

20200528_193231.jpg
20200528_193248.jpg

I would expect that to be from your rooster. you can always catch her and look her over. Make sure she has no mites/lice and no open wounds on her back since her skin is exposed to the rooster now. I make my hens chicken saddles if they ever get like that
Thanks for the reply. Ill look into making her a saddle. She is easy to catch, as she is the slowest and least scared of human touch.

I saw no wounds, but getting to her skin in that area is difficult and it seems like there is a blanket of the grayish inner feathers.

She does have a dirty booty that I need to try and wash off, not too bad though, although I may have to trim since she's pretty bushy in he rear area.

Thanks for the reply. Ill look into making her a saddle. She is easy to catch, as she is the slowest and least scared of human touch.

I saw no wounds, but getting to her skin in that area is difficult and it seems like there is a blanket of the grayish inner feathers.

She does have a dirty booty that I need to try and wash off, not too bad though, although I may have to trim since she's pretty bushy in he rear area.
I know what you mean! I normally put my hand in a layer and gently lift up. Definitely clean up her bottom asap! I just dealt with my first fly strike ever..it was awful. I just trim the dirty feathers off. It's the easiest to do. I went around my whole flock this week trimming anyone that had anything on their feathers. Only took a minute and you can barely tell I cut any feathers off

Do you happen to have a rooster? This is exactly what my hens look like if we acquire a few too many roosters
Yeah, I do have one rooster and 5 hens. I don't see him on her more than the others.

They will be a year old in July and have not melted yet, so maybe its just wear and tear?

Back
Top Bottom