1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting or...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickieTeacher, May 14, 2016.

1. ChickieTeacher

ChickieTeacher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    West Central Florida
    This is my girl Gerta. She's about a year and a half now (my kindergarten class hatched her from an egg). She's just started losing feathers around the back of her head. I have four chickens, another hen the same age as her that she was raised with and then two 16 week old girls. Is she beginning to molt or is someone/something pulling the feathers out of the back of her head?

[​IMG]

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    She is beautiful blue cochin hen

She is loosing the feathers on her head from other chickens. And this is not the time for her to start molting

BCP

3. ChickieTeacher

ChickieTeacher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    West Central Florida
    I was thinking the same thing. Today I grabbed her up and inspected the area where she is missing feathers and there are a few new feathers popping up. I haven't seen any squabbles and I've been really listening... She's also stopped laying. :/

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I have a few girls that are bald on the back of their heads because they take FOREVER to lay, and the other hens get impatient with them. Chicken drama...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by