Molting problems

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosewarrior, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Rosewarrior

Rosewarrior Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    Hello I have a silver Welsh Harlequin Duck, she keeps going into consecutive molts. So far, 3 straight molts, as soon as one is done she starts molting again.

She is a indoor house duck. Sweetest thing anyone could ever ask for.

She is getting ready to lay, but so far I've seen no eggs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Rosewarrior

Also, is it normal for ducks to eat some of their shed feathers?

I have heard that parrots will do that, but I've never heard of ducks doing that too.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can find a duck vet, that would be really good. I have not had experience with three consecutive molts. Something's weird. Does she get outside? Maybe a Vitamin D deficiency?

What is her diet and routine?

Molts are hormonally triggered, and I think that would be through day length change, stress, diet changes, or the like.

Hmmmmmmm…..

Beautiful girlie.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    How much outside time does she get? indoors is not really the ideal environment, we heat/cool our buildings, we're shaded from natural sunlight too.

I would tend to feel it's triggering unnatural molts. Ducks definitely molt, that is normal but to be continuing means something is off balance. What is her diet? she will need Oyster shell, when she comes into lay or a layer feed..(i do oyster shell here, as i have various ages and drakes)

A vet maybe a possibility as Amiga suggested, here however no such option exists, so i can offer no input on that option, vets here will only put down a duck in distress.

4. Rosewarrior

Rosewarrior Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    @ Amiga -Thank you very much!

I do have a good duck vet, but they are pricey.

I will put her outside more often, I hadn't thought of a vitamin deficiency.

She has plenty of oyster shell, has a ducky corn diet, and lots of green beans, broccoli, and anything else she can get her beak on.
    Except bread, crackers... you know.

I also had forgotten about molts being hormonal, as well as daylight.

Funny you mention drakes and oyster shells.
    I had a Khaki Campbell couple who got attacked and are gone now. RIP.
    But my boy, Rosie, would always see my female, Sheila, eating her grit. He was always trying it, and spitting it out. It was so much fun to watch. He was probably thinking "Why do you eat this lousy stuff woman!" LOL.

Thank you both for your help!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducky corn? Sounds low in nutrients and protein. Layer would be much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by