molting/protein?

Izzymoon

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
Hi curious what the best proteins are for molting chickens. One of my girls is in a bad molt, I have been feeding them blocks of tofu, but is there a better protein?

Thank you for your post. I am having the same problem with a few including my old rooster and hope to watch your post for the answer. I am not sure I am doing the right thing either :).

Lots of ways to get protein into the birds. What I do is switch to a higher protein feed during moult, so that I know exactly the amount of protein they are getting. Feeds like Flock Raiser and All Flock are higher in protein than most layer pellets. I've also used feed meant for meat birds before. You'll have to provide oyster shell or another source of calcium free-choice if you do this.

Other things to give them:
Straight-up meat like beef, pork or chicken (I know, I know)
Eggs (hard-boiled and then smashed is easiest for me, but scrambled works too!)
Fish, including canned tuna or salmon
Insects like mealworms or crickets (you can buy these dried--look near the reptile food at the pet store)
Sunflower seeds
Cat food

Tofu sounds really expensive!

Last edited:
Tofu is actually a relatively low protein food at only 10%. That's lower than a regular lay pellet. If you toss them roasted soybean instead, that's over 40%. Cat food is about 30%, sunflower and flax seeds are about 35%.

there's a new tofu called Black Bean tofu, and it has about 30% protein in it. A block costs about 2.19 usually located at the produce section of the grocery store. I hadn't thought of flax seed, but that costs way more than tofu. I did buy a bag of mixed beans so maybe I'll boil those up and give them to them, but I noticed they had GMO's in them, so I haven't used them. I don't like the idea of using catfood or meats. I have organic birds and also they are GMO free and I am trying to find the best of both worlds here. I suppose I could do some sort of fish, but would have to go to the market and figure that out. Their organic feed is about 17% protein. I also feed them Kale as a source of Calcium and Vitamin C

Last edited:
Vitamins, minerals are important during moult in addition to methionine, biotin, and lysine for feathering. Lots of energy is put forth during new feather growth. Supplement feed with gamebird crumbles/pellets and use a good quality water supplement like Avian Super Pack. Probiotics help digestion and absorption of nutrients. Probios dispersible powder works great as an additional supplement.

Most feed rations contain soy, which is what Tofu is.

Last edited:
Hen in such heavy molt is likely protein deficient. Until you work out an effective home remedy, my suggestion is you include some chick starter in the ration to get molt back on track. Bird is currently having to struggle to stay warm so more energy is needed in addition to an up protein level in diet. With my birds I use a diet that is about 18 to 19% crude protein while the body and tail feathers are being replaced. After feather replacement is complete you can drop it back into the realm typical for egg laying or 12 to 13% for maintenance if eggs not being produced.

Back
Top Bottom