1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting queshtion.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 72farmer, Nov 18, 2013.

1. 72farmer

72farmer New Egg

Nov 18, 2013
    hey everyone, this is my first year owning chickens and i just learned what molting is today because i noticed one of my hens was loosing feathers a cupple weeks back.my queshtion is if i didit have lighting for eggs for a cupple weeks and during this time i noticed the feathers faling out.i then set up the light to get eggs (the light has ben goin for about a week).shuld iturn the light back off so the hens can finish moltin? hope i worded the queshtion good enought to understand .if not let me know ,thankyou.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Once the molting starts, they should molt and regrow feathers completely before they start laying eggs again.

3. ak rain

ak rain Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2013
    But do you keep light on during molt? I'm first year too. My theory is yes 14 to to 15 hrs of light between sun and artificial light. Accept the molt but have all they need to come out like healthy food and enviroment which includes light
    But I don't know

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't add light. I used to for a strictly layer flock.
    You can, but my assumption is that ambient light is better for hens during molt.
    Commercial operations that keep hens past molt will force molt to the entire flock by reducing light and feed. I believe they keep lights on about 8 hours till they're recovered.

The 14 hours of light only helps if the birds are at POL or actively laying. A bird molting won't be laying.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    ChickenCanoe is right, except all your hens may not be molting at the same time. I use light every year, as some are molting while others are still laying & it works for me! In fact this is the first year in 20 that 2/3 of my flock actually seemed to shut down at once, but the 3 or 4 other girls kept laying until about a month ago. I actually went about 2 weeks without any eggs & now my EEs that molted last have started laying again already. Still no eggs from the fully feathered Welsummers, however!

6. ak rain

ak rain Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2013
    Yes my answer cimes from being new. I'm in alaska short days and that influences decision too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by