1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickaroo!, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    My black sex link is beginning to molt. She's missing a bunch of feathers on one side of her rump and her pretty tail feathers are ragged and few.

My questions are: Is it normal to molt this time of year? Should I expect any behavior changes in egg laying? Will her poos by any different?

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    It is normal for hens to molt this time of year - in fact I have a few that are in molt right now. My hens have quit laying while they molt, but I have heard of hens laying periodically during a molt. I highly doubt you will get eggs regularly. Make sure you feed your molting hen extra protien as molting is hard on them. As for the poop - I haven't noticed anything different.

3. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks Heidi. What do you feed your hen for extra protien? I'm thinking scrambled eggs?
    She has stopped laying. She seems, however, to have a bit of loose poo. Maybe I should make her some brown rice?

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    For extra protien I feed egg or a handful of cat food. There's lots of controversy on cat food though, but I notice most people here feed some cat food. I also feed my chickens all my scrapes after dinner including pizza and lasagna. The pooh is nasty the next day, but oh well. Brown rice would be good - mine love it.

5. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks, again, Heidi! I certainly have lots of eggs to spare:) Guess scrambled eggs are on the menu for tomorrow's brunch and maybe rice for dinner!! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by