Molting rooster and hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shannon84, Sep 29, 2016.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    My buff Orpington roo is molting losing a few feathers here and there nothing too major , but my new Hampshire red hen is losing feathers like crazy! unreal amount! She is acting so strange, will not come out to free range, and stays in the run but mostly in the coop on the roost. Why is she acting like that? Im new to chickens btw. Thanks for any responses or comments :D im just worried and hate seeing her like that. I heard meal worms help with the molting process? :/

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some birds molt harder than others, and overall hens seem to molt more than roosters.

Her behavior is pretty normal. I don't think they feel well when they molt hard. Mine are usually more stand-offish, quiet, like they're kind of pulled into themselves. And when you think about it this way.....feathers are a big defense. When a bird is attacked by a predator, often times the predator gets a mouthfull of feathers and the bird gets away. Kinda like those lizards who shed their tails.....anyway, that defense isn't there. She's hanging around where she feels safe, that's okay.

Feather growth does require protein. Mealworms or other forms of protein are good during this time.

3. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Oh that's sad [​IMG] makes total sense though. I'm so glad to get this information! Thank you! I feel alot better now knowing it's normal behavior, it was bothering me Ugh! I will continue with the meal worms [​IMG] thanks again!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by