Molting Season?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AuroraSprings, Jun 17, 2011.

1. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I could've sworn I read somewhere that ducks/geese molt in the fall, but for the last month or so our bird yard has looked like a BAD pillow fight happened. All my adult geese have lost their flight feathers. The chocolate colored ducks are completely bleached out (though that could be the sun). And the runs are lined with down and full sized feathers. None of the feathers look "chewed", so I don't think it's feather mites. Also, no one looks or acts sick, so I figure it's not an infestation just a molt. But NOW? It's been EXTREMELY hot this year, so maybe that's it. Strangely, I'm still getting 4-8 eggs per day out of 9 adult hens and 1 young hen - just laid her first egg on Monday!

I can take pictures if it will help with advice, but I'm completely confused by all the feathers!!

Thanks
    Kristy

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    After breeding season is over depending on the breed is usually when they molt and mallards/rouens (wild type colored birds) go into eclipse plumage

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    In our area, they started molting a couple of weeks ago. It's a little early, but breeding season was a bit earlier this year, too. Last year, they started molting in late July/early August. We're still getting ducklings, but not as many as before.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I've got 2 sun bleached ducks too....
    [​IMG]

I tell Cadbury she used to look like nice dark molten chocolate and now it looks like somebody she is a mix of white and milk chocolate.
    And Ally's fawn is almost not!

Ally started molting 3 days ago. Duck house was a mess this morning and their pond has been quite feathery too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by