Molting Silkie head?

Ksane

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Oklahoma
I just got this Silkie pullet (this year's hatch), most of the top of her head looks like this bald spot with the white dots on it. Is she molting? It looks like she's been plucked bald all over the top of her head. All around her stomach and chest she just looks bald with smooth skin, no pin feathers or anything.
Edit: She had no mites or lice when I got her but I treated for them anyway.
IMGP0450.jpg

Last edited:
It could be mites or lice. Lice check around the back next to the tail feathers they are visible. If its mites you might not be able to see them. Some get on the chicken at night when they roost and hide in the coop during the day. It could be moulting as well.

I edited it to add that she had no mites or lices. Those 2 things are one of my pet peeves with new chickens. I check them over 4 or 5 times real close and then go ahead and dip then dust them either way.

Maybe put some vaseline on the bald area. I just read you just said you treated them for lice and mites and you also said you just got her so could be that where she came from had them in coop. Mites hid so could be damage from her previous home.

Quote:
Yea, I never thought of that. I guess it's possible that she had them but the seller treated her before offering for sale and that's why she didn't have them when I got her.

Back
Top Bottom