1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting too early?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pupsnpullets, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I have a young pullet that appears to be molting aready. She was born 2/26/08, finally started laying around early Sept and has gone into molting already! What's the deal? She's the biggest, most aggressive and definately the boldest of my girls and fast becoming the most useless. She's bullying the others and at least one of the 3 remaining girls is too imtimidated to lay.
    So, my question is, is this normal to molt after 3 months laying. I'm in Socal so cold isn't an excuse, even today, the coldest day so far, it is still 62.F

2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Chickens can molt at any time. Some of mine have yet to molt..they are 10 months and older..and the ones that are molting are about 6 months. There is really no time table to when a chicken molts. I have asked this question too. I hope this helps you out. The molt should only last 4-6 weeks. The temp. isn't a factor in there molt. DJ

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens are eight months old. Six have just finished a mini-moult, six are in the middle of one and six others aren't.
    I've read, I think it was speckled hen that said it, they can go thru a mini-moult at around 8 months old and then have their first BIG moult at 18 months.

4. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

All three of our chickens went through a molt when they were about 3 months old (September). I don't know if it was normal or related to diet, sexual maturing or whatever but they eventually grew out of it. I did give them extra protein and during that period and now I have them on black oil sunflower seeds on a regular basis; their feathers are beautifully thick and glossy.

The first one started laying just this week, and her eggs are perfect.

Phyllis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by