1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting twice in one season?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texsuze, Nov 26, 2016.

1. texsuze

texsuze Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    One of my 6-yr old black australorps had a good molt back at the end of August. By October she was back to squatting for me and laying a few eggs a week (her usual). Now, in late Nov. she is blowing off feathers like a pillow fight. Every time she shakes, she dumps feathers, which seem to come from underneath the more external feathers. No large wing feathers or neck (cape?) feathers have come out this time around. Yet. She has stopped squatting and laying.

I'm 99.999% certain this is not external parasites, too. I'm not seeing creepy crawlies and coops were cleaned out this month; coops plus girls were treated with Elector PSP. My other 5 girls seem to have completed their molts at this point, but who knows who will kick in another session!

Is it typical for molts to be multi-stage like this, with egg-laying resuming in between 'sessions'? Anyone had similar experience with their girls? How old were yours when this happened?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A lot of things can make a molt happen so it isn't impossible.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have seen it several times now. Hens doing so are usually 2 or more years. Whatever is going on is not normal and it does not appear to be parasite induced. Feathers between the molts appear darker. My hens running loose do not do it. Some hens penned do. Those doing it tend to be in lay and may even be broody.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Curious.... when the E PSP was applied in relation to molts?
    Just a thought.... as it's something different new?

Never seen that happen here, but I don't keep my birds past 3y.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What does E PSP mean?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    Elector PSP is 44% Spinosad use to kill mites

8. texsuze

texsuze Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    The Elector PSP was applied about 10-12 days prior to my hen beginning this "second molt". My remaining 5 hens are not molting. No one is having any problems that I can see right now. It still looks like just a brand new molt, but I won't be re-treating hens with anything for a while. Plus, I like to plan any intervention (de-worming, ectoparasite mgmt, etc) when we have several days of good weather. I'll keep a watch on my girl to see how she comes through this situation.

Thanks for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by