Molting twice??

Jaxx2

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
My rhode island red went through a bad molt this year and just as most of her feathers were done growing back I noticed more feathers falling off of her again.
Shes acting normal, I checked for lice/mites and found none. I also gave the whole flock a found of dewormer.
Im not too worried, this is just a little strange.
Has anyone experienced this before??

My rhode island red went through a bad molt this year and just as most of her feathers were done growing back I noticed more feathers falling off of her again.
Shes acting normal, I checked for lice/mites and found none. I also gave the whole flock a found of dewormer.
Where is she losing feathers? Notice anyone picking at her or feather picking in general? Do you have a rooster?

Where is she losing feathers? Notice anyone picking at her or feather picking in general? Do you have a rooster?
I cant tell the exact place shes losing feathers, ive just noticed feathers on the ground of her coop or falling off of her while shes walking.
I dont have a rooster and shes only kept with one other hen.
I also forgot to mention that she hasnt been perching at night like normal.
It seems like shes showing signs of a normal molt, its only strange that its happening a 2nd time.
Thanks for any help :)

This exact thing happened to my GLW, Lacey. She looked beautiful after her molt and just two or 3 weeks later, BAM, she lost more feathers like crazy. She is fine now, though.

One thing I will add is that she did go broody....which I don't think is the same with your RIR. Can you post a photo of her?
I can try tomorrow once its light out again. She doesnt look too abnormal or bald just yet, and she isnt broody thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom