Molting, Weather, Food, what's a girl to do??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginbart, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    As mush as I don’t want to do it I think I may add a light to my coop. I have 26 RIR hens and I’m only getting 3 to 4 eggs a day. I know it’s cold and some of them just got done molting. But it’s been 2 months and nothing.

I needed to change food because TSC no longer sells it. I don’t know if it’s the weather, molting or changing the food that has them not laying. 10 of them hatched in April and they did not molt yet so why aren’t they laying? That’s 8 months.

I don’t know how to figure it out. They are RIR’s and I picked them for their egg laying. I have a man that pays me $2.50 a dozen and I'm now finding I have to pay for feed because I have none to sell. [​IMG]

So I guess my questions are,

1. Since they are not laying would it hurt to try a light for maybe a month and see that happens.

2. How long after they are done molting do they start laying again? Or does that depend on the breed?

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    we are going through the same thing but if you got some one spending 2.50 on a dozen you better keep him around and happy, but explain to him they quit layin for the season if you cant satisfy his egg needs.
    as far as the hens you can let them rest we do, or try adding the light if you need eggs right away

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Someone told me extra protein will help get them laying too!

Mine didn't eat the cat food I added. But maybe giving them some grower will help until they lay.
    Caroline

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    There's a lady about 1/2 mile down the road from me and she sells them for $1.50. Maybe I'll go and buy them from her and then sell them to him. LOL I can be the middle man.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine are 9 months old and I have 2 molting (out of 6). They quit laying for a couple weeks before I saw the feathers falling off them. My buttercup quit laying eggs in early November, I started seeing feathers coming off her in mid November. She's growing feathers back in now, but no eggs yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by