Molting? What exactly does that "look" like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by byudawn, Apr 20, 2011.

1. byudawn

byudawn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    I have a 12 month old (just barely) RIR with another RIR and 2 LH. They are all the same age and grew up together. This one RIR is NOT laying now for over a month, and I am pretty sure it is not stress, food, heat or anything else. These hens are treated well! [​IMG] BUT I know they take a "Break" and wondered what exactly does molting entail? Maybe this is why the one stopped, but she is not losing any feathers and looks just fine and healthy. I hate to sound rude, but if she's not going to lay in a few more weeks, I am not sure I want to keep her? I'm sorry if that sounds heartless! I hoped her break would be done now, but no......she has laid a couple soft-shelled eggs in this last month, and she keeps going in the nesting boxes as though she WANTS to lay. Any thoughts? Is there another thing besides molting? They are free range in our small suburban backyard and I know she is not laying anywhere else. Thanks!

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Double check your planter pots and shrubs, even your feeder if its open top... from what I've read here on the forum, hens can be sneaky. Are you sure she's not broody? Or, may the powers that be forbid it, eggbound?

3. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Don't feel bad for not wanting a freeloader. I have three I'm going to cull in a short while. But I've put 39 eggs in the bator to replace them. I raise mine for many reasons, and yes eggs are only one. If you cull her or relocate her, you will be out of that eventual egg. So forthought is your best friend here. In order to keep your laying quota at a reasonable rate, You will need no less than 3 chicks. But all three could bee roos. so if you get or hatch 6, you increase the odds that you will end up with at least 1 hen. But as you can see it could be like lil miss cull, therefor to double your odds buy or hatch 12. Now, There is a good chance she is just off her lay and time will tell you when to act. In the meantime, feel free to join my math classes. (Or even some of the other FINE teachers here) Wish you well. And I'm glad you sought help first. You may just want to give her some time.[​IMG]

4. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Don't feel bad for not wanting a freeloader. I have three I'm going to cull in a short while. But I've put 39 eggs in the bator to replace them. I raise mine for many reasons, and yes eggs are only one. If you cull her or relocate her, you will be out of that eventual egg. So forthought is your best friend here. In order to keep your laying quota at a reasonable rate, You will need no less than 3 chicks. But all three could bee roos. so if you get or hatch 6, you increase the odds that you will end up with at least 1 hen. But as you can see it could be like lil miss cull, therefor to double your odds buy or hatch 12. Now, There is a good chance she is just off her lay and time will tell you when to act. In the meantime, feel free to join my math classes. (Or even some of the other FINE teachers here) Wish you well. And I'm glad you sought help first. You may just want to give her some time.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by