Molting? When and How long?

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

It depends on the bird... some don't get the memos.

Molting can be caused by age, season, daylight, nutrition, or stress. So basically whenever the birds body says OK I've had enough.... I think. :confused:

How ling it last will depend on the bird AND their nutrition. Some will go through a "hard" molt while others will go through a light molt.

My broody Silkies... go through mini molts sometimes while they are brooding and have never yet had a standard "second winter" molt... that most average bird will.

How long it last can be effected by protein intake (in my opinion and experience). Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Birds who eat "layer" (16%) will likely take longer to grow their feathers back in than birds that eat 20%. But this can be effected by how fast they shed the old ones in the first place. Some will do a fast drop and re feather while others will very slowly lose and regrow them. Even the same breed will have differences... because ALL are individuals and their bodies and immune systems will behave as such.

Sorry if that didn't help answer your question at all! :p

Back
Top Bottom