Molting?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by emsevers, Jan 7, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    This is my first year with chickens and I'm not sure what their full cycle is yet. I've been noticing that they seem to be losing feathers around their backside. I was a little concerned that one of them had started pecking the others but now I'm wondering if they are molting. There are only 3 of them and I know they have enough space. I have my silkie inside because she just hatched out a baby chick so I didn't want her out in the cold and I've been noticing that she's lost a few feathers as well. They are all around the same age. So what do you think?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    You do not say the age of your chicks. Usually around 9 months they have a mini molt then around 18 months a full blown one. I'd check for mites , lice etc. around the vents. They love that spot. hope this helps Jean

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How old are your birds?

4. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I'm not exactly sure. They are Red sex-links and I got them in August and they started laying at the end of that month. So I'm not sure at what age they when they start laying. So I would say from the age they are supposed to be laying plus 4 months.

The feathers that are missing are on the lower back and now it looks like on their chest. I tried to look for mites or ticks or anything like that and I couldn't see anything. It's still pretty fluffy underneath. It's been really rainy so I went and cleaned out their run and everything. I was trying to get the dampness out because I was afraid that could be causing it.

My Silkie has been inside for the past 2 weeks and she's losing feathers as well so that's what made me think of molting. They're all the same age whatever age that may be and I don't think that she'd be affected by something if she's been inside for the past 2 weeks. I really don't know.

By the way, when it's raining is it normal for them to want to be out in the rain. I would think that they'd go under the covered area but they don't seem to care. They look like drowned rats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by