Molting?

LRavis

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
Hi there! About three weeks ago I got 4 hens that are all around 14 months old (although I think the guy may have sold me a way older one because 1 of them has not yet layed). I figured because of the hour long drive and being in a new place they’d be too stressed to lay, well three of them layed the next day. And since that day we’ve only had one lay, I know it’s only one because it’s a green egg and I only have one Easter Egger. So then we moved them to a new coop and run, and a few days later there was a dog attack in the coop next to them (RIP my Tilly girl). There are a lot of feathers everywhere, and I know they start molting in the fall, but is this a rea molt since it’s only August? Or a stress molt and maybe that’s why they’re not laying? They’re all eating and drinking and acting just fine, but no eggs...Any insight would be appreciated.

The eggs they laid the next day were already in the pipeline. After ovulation, it takes about 24+ hours for the egg to finish developing.
At my latitude, we are losing about 2.5 minutes of daylight a day, so yes, likely molt.
The move, the dog attack and other stressors may stop ovulation for a long time. It could even be till after recovery from molt.

Last edited:
Some may but maybe not all.
At their age, I don't think it will be spring. Winter solstice is December 21. I get birds recovering from molt laying by mid January.
If you get a bunch of eggs soon, hoard them for the dearth of eggs to come.
Make sure their nutrition is optimal at this time. Especially crude protein and particularly the essential amino acids of methionine, lysine and cystine.
Some good animal protein will insure ovulation if the season hasn't shut them down yet.
Make sure they get out at dawn to get the most out of the day length.
After those molting completely recover, you can add a light to the coop to extend the day length by a couple hours. That can have an impact.

Back
Top Bottom