Molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FalcoSparverius, Aug 9, 2009.

1. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    Just wondering what the signs of molting are so that I am not taken by surprise when it happens. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Ask not why the chicken crossed the road, but why the road got in the way of the chicken. [​IMG]

2. allison finch

allison finch Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    When your coop looks like some predator has ripped all the feathers off your chickens....but they are just fine.

Mine are molting now and I have piles of feathers in every corner.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree just look for a lot of feathers.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They will look pretty raggedy and blotches of missing feathers.

AL

5. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    I'm not sure if two of mine are molting or if something else is going on. I read about the piles of feathers, but I don't have piles. Of my five chickens, only the wyandottes are losing feathers. One lost a 3"x3" patch just at the small of her back about a month ago and she's still bald there! The other one is just starting to lose them in the same place, but no bald spots yet. They are the two biggest chickens so I don't think there is a pecking order thing going on, but the one with the bald spot is the only one that lays in the lower of two nesting boxes. They are about five months old. Is this too young to molt?

6. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:That isn't molting, it is feather picking, or rooster activity, or both. Go to the FAQ page and read the threads on pecking and feather picking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: