molting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by erinkate, Oct 28, 2009.

1. erinkate

erinkate Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    salt lake city, ut
    My 1.5 year old hen just started molting...just in time for our first snow! is this normal???

Thanks!

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Yes as the molt is usually triggered by the amount of diminishing light in the fall. It just happened to snow at the same time, just a coincident.

3. Crazy4cochins

Crazy4cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    NW MO
    Am I allowed to barge in on your thread or am I suppose to post another question about molting? Sorry if I am not suppose to [​IMG]
    can I ask a molting question, Mine are going to be 2 in march and are molting right now also, Is it possible they are hungrier during molt?And are a little more grumpy??? Thanks

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Grumpier perhaps. I can't imagine it's too comfortable for them, feeling like a porcupine and all. They do need all the protein they can get at this point, to grow new feathers. You can switch them to a higher protein feed or offer lots of high protein snacks.
    I have one hen that's in a bad way with her molt. She is acting very uncomfortable. She's nothung but a pincushion right now and can't stand to snuggle on the roost anywhere near the others.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by