Molting...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peggyb43, Nov 30, 2009.

1. peggyb43

peggyb43 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    How long does molting last? I haven't had any eggs now for tow days, and very few before that for about a month. I'd hate to have to buy eggs...ugh!

2. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Not sure. Mine started molting about a month ago, and they're looking better, but not laying again yet.
    Hopefully another BYCer will have a more experienced answer for ya.
    Good luck~[​IMG]

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Molting can last anywhere from a month to 4 months. Even when they're through molting they don't start up right away especially if you live in a cold climate that gets less daylight or if you have dual purpose or ornamental breeds. They need this time to recoup from the physical stress of laying through the year and growing all those new feathers.

A hen can lay about 260 eggs a year, that still leaves 100 days when she's not laying. And as some breeds lay considerably less than that.

If you have a typical backyard flock there are going to be times when you have to buy eggs. Nothing you can do about it unless you plan to continually raise new chicks and buther your 'old' ones. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  4. peggyb43

peggyb43 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks for the info...guess I'm off to the store. Yuck...store bought eggs.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Mine molted in Sept and seems that was it. Never got bare looking. They started laying in Oct at 4 mo old. At 4 1/2 months I was seeng 3 to4 eggs a day. At 5 1/2 mo I see from 12 to 16 eggs a day normally. May be that mine were too young to be affected by molt this time? I will know more next year. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by