1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by janie's silkies, Dec 29, 2009.

1. janie's silkies

janie's silkies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2009
    I am new to the website.I have two silkie hens and one rooster. They have had a great time running around my fenced garden all summer. I have been getting eggs for about a month. All of a sudden no eggs. I thought maybe their a little broody, but after about a week I started noticingfeathers around the nesting boxes. How long does this affect egg production?I have two white heat lamps on them and a heated waterer. It has been really cold here in versailles ky.Any advice?

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG] Molting does cut down on egg production. One thread talked about adding extra protein to the diet to help keep some eggs coming. I tried that, but didn't have a lot of luck with it. Though I am sure I could have been more diligent on it. I don't know how long they molt, but it seems like it slows things down for 2 -3 months...but I didn't time it, so that could just be me getting tired of waiting and feeling like it was FOREVER! Some others may have some insight for you.

3. Oopoo

Oopoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    do you keep the lights on just during the day? Too much light messes with the chickens heads. They need to sleep and will only do that if it's dark. If you let the chickens adjust to your temps they will do fine. I only put a light on for my girls when the temp is under 20* and I try to do it during the day. I can close them up and leave the light on for a couple hours to "warm" the coop and then I turn it off. They sleep well in temps under 20* My girls get really testy with each other if I do leave the light on all night--below 0* temps. I've only had one moult and it took 2-3 months to get eggs again and the first few were weak shelled. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by