molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rotzilla, Feb 4, 2008.

1. rotzilla

rotzilla Out Of The Brooder

Do chickens molt in the middle of winter? i have a couple of birds that are looking a little ratty. i wouldnt of thought thay would molt in the cold...

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It is really important that the flock has water at all times. Chickens don't drink alot at one time, but do drink often. If they have frozen water and not able to drink, you could be causing a molt. I would make sure there is plenty of fresh water at all times. I would make sure that there is good and dry housing to make it through a winter molt.

bigzio

3. hb

hb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    SF Bay Area, California
    My two girls are molting, too, and I find this curious behavior as well.

4. lakecountychick

lakecountychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    :rolleyes:One of my four girls is molting It's been a month now, no eggs from her. The other three are fine so far. If they start to molt ; I hope the other one is finished or I won't be getting any eggs for weeks and weeks. Should I be giving her a supplement during this time of awkwardness and grouchiness? Micaela

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, a handful of dry cat food will help with replacing the feather alot faster. I would do this daily til featherd out again.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by